Integra Health Club Program for creating Healthy Seniors
Our Active Seniors Program is part of the Orange Healthy Lifestyle Program for Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, designed for those who have suffered heart disease and are now medically stable.
Tuesday and Thursday 10.30am
ACTIVE Seniors Mission Statement
We believe that introducing a healthier lifestyle should be as much about ‘lifestyle’ as it is about ‘health’.
By giving you the strength and fitness to function better in your daily routines, we will help you maintain independence and ensure that your physical wellbeing is optimised.
What are the benefits of the Active Seniors Program?
It’s hard to overstate the long term benefits of a life long commitment to exercise and physical fitness.
It’s widely known that people that get regular exercise remain healthier and stronger than people who don’t.
It has been proven that exercise reduces the occurrence of Heart Disease, Stroke, Cancer, Diabetes, Obesity and more.
- Improve your Balance decreasing the chances of a fall
- Improve your coordination
- Improve memory
- Decrease Cholesterol
- decreases the effects of Arthritis
- Reduce inflammation
- Increase weight loss
- Increase overall health
- Lower High Blood Pressure
- Reduce ‘Hardening of the Arteries’
- Slow the progression of Heart Failure
What is the Active Seniors Program?
Our Healthy Seniors Program is run in conjunction with the Orange Healthy Lifestyle Program for Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation designed for those who have suffered heart disease and are now medically stable.
When you attend the Active Seniors Program you will be guided through a exercises designed for your personal needs. Strength training and gentle exercise under qualified supervision to begin.
The College of Sports Medicine recommends weight training for all people over 50, and even people well into their 90s can benefit.
A group of nursing home residents ranging in age from 87 to 96 recently improved their muscle strength by almost 180 percent after just eight weeks of lifting weights, also known as strength training. Adding that much strength is almost like rolling back the clock.
It’s Safe, It’s Effective, and It’s Never Too Late To Start.
Why do you need exercise?
The truth is that building your muscles and general fitness is more important than ever at this stage of life. Muscles tend to weaken and this decline can eventually rob people of their active, independent lifestyles. Fortunately, you can reverse that trend with a few simple exercises.
- As we get older we lose approximately 2kg – 3kg of muscle every 10 years.
- Muscle loss is accompanied with the reduction of metabolism, 2%- 5% every10 years.
- The more muscle you have the more energy you burn. The energy used to fuel muscle is usually your stored energy – body fat, hence a reduction in body fat.
- Over the years we lose water in our cartilage and discs, which in turn increases the amount of instability in the joints.
Because of the natural aging process it is even more important to maintain your muscle strength.
- The stronger the muscles the less unwarranted joint movement.
- If you keep active your range of motion is also maximized.
- The strength in the legs in the older population is a critical component of walking ability. The less strength you have the slower your walking pace will become.
Together let’s combat Heart Disease
Tuesday 10.30am – 11.30am
Thursday 10.30am – 11.30am
$8 per session
NO CONTRACT REQUIRED!
It’s easy to get started…
1. Obtain a Medical referral from your local doctor and a clearance to exercise.
2. Organise some comfortable exercise clothing and shoes.
3. Bring a drink and a towel.
4. Choose a class and come on out and have fun.
We look forward to seeing you soon.